Sunday, February 3, 2008

Men and the Super Bowl

What's with men and the Super Bowl? Jared hasn't watched any football AT ALL this season and I decided to surprise him for being such a good man. So I Tivoed the Super Bowl and got all the ingredients for a full-on Super Bowl experience. Wings, potato skin nachos, weird cookies, pork slaw sandwiches. But considering how great the menu sounds, Jared will probably only eat a few things and say he's full. He's known for his perpetual attention to satiety. In other words, he stops eating when he's full or has had too much salt, sugar, or fat. Now who does that??? For REAL. You've got to be from another planet to have control over your appetites! Now, I do believe it's something to be admired, but I can get pretty annoyed if I've made some awesome food and Jared won't even taste it on the premise that, "I've had too much sugar today." During those unbelievable times, I command, "You taste it and you better like it too!" Hormones might play a little role in the matter, but so does the whole "cook" thing where you're cooking for other people and you just want to see them eat it. I mean, I don't even taste it until it's done and Jared's already tried it. To be honest, part of that has to do with the fact that if it's bad (and that's a definite possibility) then I won't eat it, but it's still so nice of me to make something anyway. Isn't it? We try to be these prim homemakers and when we make french bread with dead yeast, our husbands have to taste the sponge bread and pretend that it was worth all the effort we put in. Jared's comment, "It's just like they make in Jerusalem." Like he's ever been there.
So kudos to Jared for earning a night out with good food and great friends. You earned it, babe.
It hasn't been too difficult with three children. Jared thinks I've reached my limit of sanity, but I figure I'm fairing pretty well compared to some other mothers. I mean, when I had one kid it was really hard for me to find time to bathe. And now with three, bathing is no problem. Does that make sense? Sure, I freak out a little bit when Jared is gone for two days camping or on a work trip. But who doesn't? Does he know any mother who doesn't get stressed out when her only break is taken away? I just know it's a breath of heaven when Jared's putting the kids to bed. The angels start singing and the TV turns on and it's in the "zone." You know the zone. When people talk to you and ask you to do something and you hear a little Bzzzzz and drool a little bit. That's just MY time. Sometimes I've wondered where my priorities are that the very little personal time I get I use to do nothing and think nothing or read something that's nothing, but it's all good. I've always been an avid supporter of Down Time and I think it's necessary for some sanity. So here's to all the mothers who spend their time in a stupor of thought. This one's for you.

2 comments:

Life said...

I promise I will eat beyond satiety tonight. and by the way, you have a knack to quickly adapting your life to a new addition to the family, and I'm sure you will adapt just fine to the next one. Your limit to sanity seems to grow with each one. just as the stress limit of tempered steel increases when put in the fire each time, so does your limit for sanity. With all the kids you want to have, you may reach never before seen limits.

Brooke said...

Michelle,
Tyler told me once about a funny article he read (it was a joke). It said that each time a woman has a baby she loses 12% of her sanity. The jist of the article was that Hillary Clinton is still okay to run for president because she is still running on 88% sanity. Hmm...where does that leave you with 3 kids?