Thursday, April 17, 2008

An Unpaid Debt

I have a running tab over at my friend's house. Whenever a disaster strikes, I just say, "Put it on my tab." And whenever I have a birthday or celebration, it's another, "Put it on my tab." And this thing, it's just growing and growing. Jared's on there too. And there's no way to get off. You know why? Because Jared and I are still counting. Our friends aren't, but how can you forget the generousity of others? Especially when that generousity is spewed forth in overwhelming support and kindness? I've never had a friend like this one. In conjunction with that, I've never had so many disasters as I have since living in Oregon (is it the state? who knows). And every time something happens, she (along with my husband of course) picks me up, joins me in the struggle, and pushes me along. It's an amazing feeling to have a friend like that. When we give ten percent, they'll return 100. Do you see the problem here? We'll never catch up! We've been trying to for a year and half. But now we're in even deeper. Jared and I are always trying to calculate what more we can do. In essence, we go home and crunch the numbers to see where we can pay more. And over time, I've come to realize that I'll never pay it all. I can't. And she doesn't intend me to. She's not even counting.
Maybe, just maybe, I was supposed to have her as a friend to understand the role of the Savior. I can't think of a more appropriate comparison. She's done what He would do for me, if He were here in person. And I am forever grateful. Thank you.

4 comments:

caddy cook said...

How can I not leave a comment, you are so amazing and so talented. When it comes to dept you repay and then some with your fabulous knowledge and your positive influence you have repaid our whole family and helped us immensely in so many areas. Your spirit is so strong and your marriage is such an inspiration to us, so really I have much dept to repay, it’s not the other way around. You and your family have given us the best gift I could ever ask for and that’s trust, I completely trust you and Jared and really that is rare thing to find. I know that heavenly father answered my prayers in bringing you to me. Thanks for being my friend and putting up with all my weirdness and hunger issues.

Brooke said...

Michelle-
I'm so happy you have such great people around you! Your friends and family sound like such great people.
BTW-thanks for FINALLY updating your blog. I check all of the time in hopes that you will. I'm a blog junkie.

Heidi said...

Hi Michelle! I found your blog thru Brooke's, who's blog Kristina found. Hope you don't mind. I will be a regular visitor now. Yeah!

Heidi (your cousin :) )

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I never intended to respond to any blog, but your "Unpaid Debt" blog was so sweet and true. I think there were never truer friends than you four which is very convenient for socializing, aiding, planning, and celebrating! I love all four of you! (That would be adults, not children, since they have stolen my heart ages ago, and I'm not sure how much planning, socializing, and celebrating they do...actually, I believe they never stop; it is continuous with them. Aren't they adorable!)