Monday, February 23, 2009

Cloth Diapers!!

I wanted to let you know I started using cloth diapers! We use them during the day, and disposables at night. I should say that I began to toy with the idea before Jackson was born (15 months ago!) and couldn't get myself to take the big step (let's just say I was tired). But right now I've got lots of energy and they aren't much different from disposable diapers! I have to admit, I'm still in the excitement stage so I just get excited each time I get to change them. I think I'm so weird like that. I remember when I first began to put our food storage together and I was excited about that also. I'm just the type of person that gets more satisfaction out of being busy and accomplishing things than sitting around and resting. Even when I need rest!
One of the reasons I made the switch is because it's a lot less messy. Plus, to be completely honest, I HATED making trips to Walmart to pick up diapers. You've got to find a parking space (daunting), make your way through the crowd (horrifying), wait in line (bore-ifying), and rebuckle everyone in their carseats. I'd rather change 10 cloth diapers than rebuckle 3 kids once! It must all be about priorities...
I also started doing them because of self-sufficiency. What would happen if we couldn't afford disposables? I'd be scrambling around using all of my clothes as diapers. That would be horrible! I like to be prepared! Anyway, I'm so excited and I'll let you know how great it is going to be.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Although I don't think I could ever do cloth diapers, I still can say good job to you! I have actually known a couple of other people who have made them and they enjoy theirs.

I love Rylee and Madison's cute dresses for the dance. I'm sure they had so much fun!

Linde said...

Wow! That is ambitious! Don't you find it a pain to wash them out? That is the part I wouldn't like. Also, do the plastic pants work so they don't leak? What does the baby think of them? :)

Michelleo said...

The baby definitely notices sooner when he wets the diaper and wants to get out of it (you change a little more frequently with cloth) but he's fine. With the diaper covers I have, they're really thin and waterproof (I wouldn't probably do cloth if I had those plastic pants!) and I haven't had a big problem with leaking. It's been a week now! Woohoo! I feel completely converted~!

Linde said...

Interesting...I didn't know they had different diaper covers now...guess that is because I'm still using Huggies. :)
Good luck!