Saturday, January 12, 2008

Calming the Waters

I just read in my "Week 6 of Your Baby's Development" email (compliments of Parenting Weekly) that I should write down in my journal, for future generations, the things that help my baby calm down. So I'll do it here for those that might want ideas or just see how Jackson is.
Let's see, I've always (and I mean always) changed my baby's diaper on my lap. Even when Madison was nearing two. It's a little easier to change her on the floor now though so that's what we do. But I've learned that it's much warmer and more secure on a lap and there seems to be more space there than sometimes in a bathroom at a restaurant or something. Now your lap may not have such cozy extra room, but mine does. I would put my hand on his chest to help him feel secure when he's grasping for the air with his little fists. And just before I change the diaper, I take the whole wipe and hold it in my hand for a few seconds. It makes it so it's not cold and you don't have to waste time and energy with a wipes warmer.
When Jackson is sad, we stick the binky in, turn him toward our body and hold him close. He generally likes to be wrapped up like a burrito first. We use a large delivery blanket first and then a normal blanket. Jared wraps him great with his little hands folded into the blanket. That's how the hospital does it. One particular thing he loves is when I pat his bottom vigorously. When he's having poopy pains, I give him a bath. He loves to float in the warm water and one of his guilty pleasures is to poop and pee in there too. Gross, but whatever flips your skirt. Jared freaked out the other day because he got a little pee on him. I laughed and thought it was funny.
With Rylee we would run around our apartment in circles. It wasn't just running though. It had to be smooth so you kind of bend your knees so that your upper body stays still and then walk really really fast. And BOY do you look stupid doing it, but it worked! And it's a good workout. Anyway, those are my ideas if you wanted to know.

2 comments:

Ken Averett said...

how do you avoid getting the mess all over your lap? I am so glad I’m out of the diaper stage!!!

Michelleo said...

Pure agility and animal like intelligence....waaaaiiittt. I meant strength.